Thursday, 4 June 2009

Going to vote

Despite all the cynicism and scoffing Sir Compton still enjoys going to vote. Something to do with being well brought up - the idea of participation in the democratic process, a quiver of righteousness blah blah blah.

Would that others felt the same. Lady Valence and I tripped along to the booths at St Mary's Rotherhithe church hall just before lunch and found the place empty, other than for two ladies from Southwark Council who were checking names and giving out the chits, which turned out to be more than 3ft long. No sign of party scrutineers with whom to josh. Very tedious indeed. Noted that Tim Worstall was on the list for UKIP. A nice chap and was tempted for the sake of acquaintance but just could not being myself to do it. He ought really to be in the Tories, which needs free thinkers and the economically literate, but maybe they are not yet libertarian enough for such a fellow. Best I can do is wish him good luck.

Are people now so disengaged that they cannot be bothered even to do such a simple thing? One hopes there will be late rush.

===

Iain Dale reports the gist of a conversation between Gordy and "Dr" Reid last night when the latter was offered his old job at Home Office back. Wasn't interested.

Brown: "You have to support me."

Reid. "No I don't. I have to support my party and my country, and that means you have to stand down."

Game on.

1 comment:

  1. A civic duty performed admirably well, Squire!

    I too have just returned, and I noticed, as other people seem to have done, that there was only one ballot box in the polling station. I had to wrestle mine into the box and almost became quite flustered in front of the rather lovely girl sat behind the desk.

    Usually there are a number of empty ballot boxes awaiting use, however, not today.

    ReplyDelete